Thursday, September 14, 2006

Australian Idol - The 4th Judge #1

Well, the finals have begun. Australian Idol Season 4 has, so far, appeared an improvement on the 3rd season disaster of these as the final 3:




Source: SMH, Australian Idol Website.

I mean, it wouldn't take much. Yes, I do believe this season is on the up. The producers seem to have got what we mindless plebs want: more "stupid" auditions at the start, but not include them in any further episodes, less "semi-finals" with the shit top 30 where we already know who we want to vote for anyway because of advertising showing us our "favorites" before they've become our favorites, and more "quirky" contestants, and by "quirky" I mean guitar-playing songwriters. Of course.

So despite the presence of James Mathison, Andrew G, Marcia Hines, and Kyle Sandilands (I love love LOVE THAT IDIOT MARK HOLDEN! I want to make him my lady) I'm watching this series with guarded apprehension. There's still a chance it could run out of steam, and I was a bit disappointed Chris Graffiti didn't get in, but there's enough there for pointless good blog fodder.

On with the judging!

Show (Contestant's Choice):


Dean Geyer
Dean Geyer is a Christian Virgin (TM) and South African. That means he talks funny. He also is a weak singer-songwriter, and one of the weakest vocally. But he's also pretty. Too pretty. Its like the producers said "Hey, you know who was cool? Guy Sebastian. But he was ugly. Lets get someone pretty this time." He sang a song that was well suited to his image: soft, solo male pop-rock. Teddy Geiger. His voice sounded thin and he had pitch issues. But boy were those eyes pretty. At this stage I'm predicting top 3 at least. Less class than Sebastian.

Joseph Gatehau
He's gone. He shouldn't even be there. He can sing, but not mature enough. Richard Marx deserves better. Poor poor Richard Marx, so misunderstood. <----that's a joke.

Jessica Mauboy
Sung "Stickwitchu." What a beautiful title for a song. I know when I'm writing a song, I like to pretend I'm writing a text message with limited character space. She's got a nice, solid voice. That's promising. She's a bit too "cute." And Kyle was right, she did look Target. I predict a middle-of-finals exit.

Damian Leith
U2 (get it? He's Irish!) "With or Without You." He's got an amazing voice, with great falsetto, but he should watch for the overkill. He wont win. He may get top 4. He's not nearly as ugly as Kyle and Mark say.

Ricky Muscat
My brother's favorite. This kid's got a strong vocal talent and a nice energetic presence, but he can overkill a little on the "R&B Coolness." Nevertheless, he's a strong contender and has a likable style, and I'd like him to go far. Not sure, he's not quite pretty enough for me to predict a top 3 position, but we have to wait and see. Downside: he did sing Craig David.

Lisa Mitchell
The downside to promoting singer-songwriters is that you'll attract immature performers who are unable to break away from what they know and adapt their talents to a mass media form. Talents like Lisa need to work up their own narratives slowly so they gradually mature into fame. She's got limited vocals and an annoying (Missy Higgins anyone) diction habit, which she admirably holds onto but may alienate viewers after a while. Crowded House was a smart choice, but "Fall at Your Feet" was not. Casey Donovan got away with her awkwardness by being able to sing, Lisa may crumble.

Lavinia Williams
Not nearly as incredibly infuriating as her nasty (seriously, what a mean looking girl Emily was) and predictable sister, she has a class about her that I dig. Great song choice, I actually think Alicia Keys writes strong R&B pop, and has a shit-hot band but is not a good enough singer for them. Alicia's voice weakens under pressure. So it was nice to hear a confident, solid black voice sing her songs like they're meant to be sung. She wont win this competition, but she'll provide some nice renditions along the way. And kudos for the "puffin muffin" comment Holden. Comedy gold. Its so predictable who Kyle's going to rip into for style disasters, too.

Chris Murphy
I didn't like how the band and Chris inserted a snatch breath before and landed hard on the chorus of "Wish You Well." Mathison said the same joke that Jay and the Doctor said to Fanning at the Top 100 party earlier this year: "Why did you give up on Miso soup?" It wasn't funny then, and its still not. I can't believe that won top song of the year, I mean, its cute and whatever but not the best. Ahh Triple J, how I hate you more than ever lately. Still, a safe choice for Murphy, who I like with his Jack Black shtick and all. But he wont win.

Klancie Keough
Beware super harshness:
I HATE her. Hate hate hate. Here's the thing: I love country music. Love it, its one of my favorite genres. Its not a guilty pleasure because I actually think its a fucking kick-ass musical landscape, with some really beautiful artists and songs, one being "Jolene" and Dolly Parton. Klancie, you are a wet fish. You looked like a hooker with your flat stringy hair and $20 dress. You seriously looked totally trailer-trying-to-be-classy and I hated it. Cheap and dirty. Your voice lacks the resonance for pure country singing, and you just held it together pitch-wise. Unstable, ugly and annoying. I hope you're out next week. But you have the whole Australian-rural-land thing happening and I'm scared you'll attract the Shannon Noll crowd. Hate it all.

"Mutto"
I like you but you shouldn't be on Idol. Too old. And you're gutsy in a really safe way. That Eskimo Joe song you did a while ago was good but in a really un-risky way. I don't really get your appeal with the judges.

Reigan Derry
You're cute and you have some ability. But this is the second time you've chosen a song that you like to sing along with in your bedroom. Sometimes that's ok, but 1) you should remember that you're on a TV show, and 2) YOU AIN'T NO NOONAN. Seriously, Casey Donovan only just got away with it, and her voice was naturally suited (plus that song really resonated with her personal struggle), but I can hear your technique working really hard. Noonan has natural talent and technique, and she's very hard to match. Kyle, you make me sick. The fact that you don't know "Breathe in Now" or "Diamonds on the Inside" is beyond pathetic. But you are continually shot down from many angles so that's ok. Reigan will not win.

Bobby Flynn
Weirdness, you are. While you clearly can sing and write and have a lovely stage presence, and clearly have the maturity and cleverness for this competition (cf Lisa), I'm unconvinced of your genius. I like you, I like your open mind to the competition, your honesty, and you're sunny nature (Brisbane boys are cuties!), but the whole trying to coolify the competition and daggy songs thing may start to get old. Jury's still out, we'll see.

Frontrunners: Dean, Bobby, Damian, unfortunately Klancie.

Personal faves: Ricky, Jessica.

Embarrassment: Lisa, Klancie, Joseph, Dean.



Verdict:









Joseph's out. Thank God. He was so incredibly uncomfortable it was painful. Glad I don't have to sit through another one of his performances.


I think next week's theme is "rock". Gee, can't wait for Klancie and Lisa to shine.


See ya then.

___________________________________________________

In other news, meeting with my supervisor wasn't too bad. Phew.


Happy Birthday cutie!

2 comments:

Steph said...

You're gonna do this every week right? Cos that was fucking awesome.
BTW, I'm gonna quote you verbatim every Monday at work so that i sound like i know what i'm talking about.

Stef said...

Thanks Steph! Yes I'm gonna try to do it every week, but I might miss out every now and then. Its basically my thoughts spewed out with not much planning. Quote away, but be prepared to be looked at like a freak...happens to me a lot. Its funny because you get that look from snobs like "you ACTUALLY watch that crap and spend brain power forming opinions on it??? Loser." But its not like I lose sleep over it. These opinions come to me without much effort. I know, would you believe it??!! :)

And like my last post said, sorry I haven't been commenting. I've wanted to!