Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Gretel's Time to Shine...Literally!

Thoughts on Gretel's big night (Pictures are causing me troubles!!! I wanted pictures! Sorry!):

- There seemed to be an emphasis on the program's "social importance". The housemates (and the viewer) seemed to be reminded on more than one occasion that their bravery to appear on national television on a program that deliberately "confronts their fears and insecurities" and forces them to "reflect on themselves and their relationships with others" is highly commendable. This is because they, apparently, effectively act as a mirror for the wider society and so their confrontations and causes reflect our confrontations and causes. They were doing society a service. Big Brother showed clips of this occurring: Through David all gay citizens had their say on their right to have their relationships legally recognised by the state!!! Through Ash all...people with....lost siblings....got to...say how sad they were....yeah! Though Camilla all highly opinionated semi-intelligent red heads got to be "happy with who they are!" Through Anna all moles got their "game on!!!" Through John and Ash and Camilla all consent-shady sexual encounters got their due representation!!!

What a wonderful year!!!! So much social consciousness these seemingly simple housmates had. And here I thought they were all dudes and moles...


- Gretel looked like a character from Doctor Who. An inter-galactic queen.

"We meet again Doctor..."

"Yes...yes we do...What have you been up to, evil Queen Malmorga? Release your prisoners, your concern is with me."


- Gretel also seemed to speak for every viewer who was not a 15 year old girl when she constantly and relentlessly praised Camilla for being a wonderful housemate. It is a source of predictable dismay for me when I think that the only non-bland male to win this show was a lovable idiot who everyone loved to laugh at.


- I can't wait for Jamie and Katie to really get married a-la Marty and Jess. One word people: class.


- There was a point where Jamie was watching himself back and said to Camilla: "Listen to me speak! I sound like an idiot!" I have to admit, he endeared himself to me then. He also seems able and willing to laugh at himself. The boy's alllllright.

5 comments:

Susanne said...

I quite liked the Inter-Galactic Queen look. Much better than some of her other ensembles.

Steph said...

Can't agree with you there. Although that's mainly because i spent way to much money trying to save Camzilla. ;0

Stef said...

Susanne - I thought she looked "heavier" in it.

Steph - WHAT! You don't agree?? OUT! OUT I SAY! Nah, I dunno, the whole BB year was pretty shite...its all a bit of a nothing event really. I reckon.

audrey said...

"Release your prisoners, your concern is with me."

Hah!

I also was amused by the emphasis on how much the housemates had supposedly influenced social behaviour. Memo to Ten - people like to watch the house with the self satisfied conviction that they would NEVER behave in such a manner.

I bet I know what Jamie's posh mother thinks of his little strumpet.

Stef said...

If I was Mrs. Jamie's mum, apart from being so drunk from "mummy's special nighttime and wardrobe syrup", I would be ON MY KNEES THANKING GOD HE'S WITH SOMEONE WHO'S DUMB ENOUGH TO LIVE WITH HIM SO HE FINALLY MOVES HIS GAPING ARSE OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!!

Ahem.